Saturday, February 8, 2014

Blessings of a Bean Counter - Jonathan Storie

Blessed

Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night.  That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither— whatever they do prospers.– Psalm 1:1-3

As I sit here writing this, I am looking across my pasture on a bright winter’s day at the trees by the stream.  I think how fitting this beautiful verse is to my life and how thankful I am for the blessings I have received.  I also feel energized to share these blessings with my new friends at Matthew 28 and in Haiti.

I am truly blessed to be going to Haiti with such a talented group of people. 

A teacher, a preacher, a doctor, a nurse, a speech therapist…and a bean counter?  I have often wondered why Hein would need a finance guy in Haiti? Surely, he does the books in the USA, not in Haiti?  I vividly remember his eyes surveying the room, while asking who would be interested in going to Haiti and what was your background.  In his response, there was always a need for a person’s particular talent.  For me, this was a major revelation – you can actually share your talents outside of work!  And they are desperately needed in Haiti…sign me up for that, what a blessing.

I offer these thoughts, from the blessings I have received (from the perspective of a “bean counter”):

Count your blessings instead of your crosses;
Count your gains instead of your losses.

Count your joys instead of your woes;
Count your friends instead of your foes.

Count your smiles instead of your tears;
Count your courage instead of your fears.

Count your full years instead of your lean;
Count your kind deeds instead of your mean.

Count your health instead of your wealth;
Love your neighbor as much as yourself.

And so this opportunity has been placed in my path – either to follow it or ignore it.  It seems like the world has ignored Haiti forever – one of the poorest nations being so close to the richest.  The voice in my head says follow it.  And I will.
If you fully obey the Lord your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations on earth.  All these blessings will come on you and accompany you if you obey the Lord your God:  You will be blessed in the city and blessed in the country. – Deuteronomy 28:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment